Throughout the past decade Earth Day has grown into an international event celebrated in more than 192 countries each year. Such an enormous holiday means opportunities are plentiful for marketing your products and services. First and foremost, it’s a good idea to promote your company’s green agenda and market using only eco-friendly marketing materials. Beyond that, it takes a bit of creativity to cash in on Earth Day; if you’re stumped, consider the following Earth Day marketing ideas that can sow the seed for long-term business growth.
- Print a booklet that advises customers on how to be eco-friendly in the home.
- If you’re a B2B business, print a booklet that advises other companies how to conduct eco-friendly business practices.
- Recruit volunteers for a trash pick-up, tree planting or fundraising event that donates funds to a local green-friendly organization. Enlist the local media to help promote your volunteer activities, and send invitation cards to invite guests to your event.
- Send postcards that invite customers to take advantage of a special Earth Day discount, contingent on the number of recycled items they bring to your storefront (for example, offer a one percent discount for every recyclable, up to 20 items total per person).
- Place posters, banners and flyers throughout your neighborhood to promote eco-friendly practices on Earth Day.
- If you’re worried about eco-friendly printing, don’t be: you can print postcards and other marketing materials on recycled paper stock with environmentally-friendly soy-based inks.
- Write a column about eco-friendly business practices to publish in your local newspaper or trade magazines.
- Speak at local community organization meetings on eco-friendly best practices for home or business; send a brochure or flyer that recaps your presentation with each attendee.
- Publicly challenge other businesses to incorporate eco-friendly business practices; have a third-party judge award appropriate prizes for the most eco-friendly business and the business that has made the greatest strides to be eco-friendly this year.
- Offer a book scholarship to high school and college students who undertake an eco-friendly community improvement project or are enrolled in the environmental sciences field.
- Send eco-friendly home and business tips to customers via print newsletters and email subscriptions.
- Promote your company’s eco-friendly practices on your Facebook page; launch a Facebook contest to encourage eco-friendly competition among your fans.
These are just a few ideas you can use as springboards for your own Earth Day marketing campaigns. With a bit of creativity and a little elbow grease, you can promote your business and help save the planet at the same time.