Dear Jim, Here’s wishing you and Carol a happy holiday season! I’ll bet Sam and Jane are super excited! I want you to know it’s been my pleasure to serve you this past year. By the way, we recently took on a new company that specializes in boat insurance. I ran the numbers and we could save you $125 per year over what you’re paying now. Give me a ring after the holidays if you’d like to discuss! Happy Holidays! Tim
Note how this strategy differs from a marketing pitch: “Save up to 10% or more by switching to GEICO.” The key to making this work is to personalize the card and use real numbers, not a vague, blanket statement that could apply to anyone. This note is:
- reference’s the customer’s family
- offers a real savings amount – the agent took the time to actually look up Jim’s account to find out what he could save on his boat
- references two things Jim cares about: his boat, and saving money on the insurance he has to buy for it
Most importantly, it puts the customer first. The agent isn’t trying to get Jim in for a random review; he has identified a way Jim can save money – all Jim has to do is sign the papers. Moreover, the insurance agent – at least on the surface – doesn’t stand to immediately gain from it. He’s not asking Jim to spend money, he’s asking him to save money. Do you think Jim will give him a call? Probably. And you know what else Jim will probably do? He’ll probably:
- remain a loyal customer
- have the agent review his other insurance accounts
- insure all future items with the agent
- tell his friends, family members, and fellow boaters about how the agent saved him money – word-of-mouth advertising that can’t be beat!
Though it’s possible the agent could lose a few dollars by saving his customer money, he stands to gain much, much more in the long-term. All this by putting his customers first. Don’t believe the notion that you can’t use holiday cards to generate response. Consider how you can put your customers first – and this can work for any type of business – and you’ll not only earn response from your holiday cards, you’ll earn loyal long-term customers and invaluable word-of-mouth marketing. Design your own custom holiday cards with the PsPrint Design Library – it’s free.